Terms of granting the International Szczecin Sailing Awards
§1. The International Szczecin Sailing Awards, hereinafter referred to as the Awards, are established in the following categories:
- Captain Ludomir Mączka Award
- Voyage of the Year – Wyszak Award;
- Sailor of the Year;
- Regatta Racer of the Year – Captain Kazimierz Kuba Jaworski Award;
- Sailing Promoter – Captain Kazimierz Haska Award;
- Umbriaga Cat Award;
- Szczecin Sailing Cultural Award;
- Sailing Event;
- Young Sailor of the Year;
- Special Sailing Award.
Objectives and assumptions
§2. The awards are established to:
- promote Polish sailing and its tradition;
- honour important sailing achievements, including those related to West Pomerania and Hither Pomerania, also including those activities, which are the achievements of the oldest sailing club in Szczecin – Stettiner Yacht Club, having its headquarters in Lübeck.
- propagate maritime culture, build and raise maritime awareness of Poles,
- award achievements in the area of maritime education of children and youth
§3. The Interenational Szczecin Sailing Awards are organised by the Mayor of Szczecin.
Awards and rules
- An Award may be won be a living natural person, a group of natural persons, a legal person or an organisational unit without legal personality, hereinafter referred to as Entities.
- Entities can receive only one Award for achievements in the previous year, subject to § 6(1) and § 10.
- No more than one of each of the Awards listed in §1 may be granted each year.
- The Awards are presented by the Mayor of Szczecin at the request of the Award Committee. It is not possible to appeal against the Mayor’s decision.
- The Award Ceremony is held at the Sailing Gala in Szczecin, which takes place every year on the last Saturday of March.
- If the last Saturday of March falls on Easter, the Award Ceremony is held on the third Saturday of March.
- The Awards referred to in § 1(1)-(8) are granted annually, provided that in the absence of candidates submitted for individual Awards or when the candidates submitted do not meet the prestige of the International Szczecin Sailing Awards, members of the Award Committee may cancel the Award in the category in a given year.
- The Awards referred to in § 1(9) and (10) shall be granted on an occasional basis, not more often than once a year.
- The Captain Ludomir Mączka Award is a nationwide and international award, which can be received by a sailor from the territory of Poland, as well as a sailor from Hither Pomerania, member and alumnus of the Stettiner Yacht Club and the Polish community abroad.
- The Award referred to in par. 1 shall be granted “For commitment to the idea of free sailing”. The Award may be granted for: an outstanding sailing achievement that took place during the two years preceding the granting of the Award; for the overall sailing activity of persons who have carried out outstanding activity in this field for at least 20 years; achievements related to maritime culture, which shall be considered the following, among others:
- directing a movie,
- writing a book on a sailing/maritime subject
- carrying out journalistic activity or promoting marine culture for at least 15 years.
- The winner of the Award referred to in par. 1 shall receive: a sculpture – statuette of LUDOMIR, depicting Captain Ludomir Mączka, and the net cash amount of PLN 10,000 (ten thousand zloty) funded by the City of Szczecin Municipality. 4. The first and last name of the winner will be placed on the information board at Aleja Żeglarzy (Sailors Avenue) in Szczecin.
- If the winner of the Award is a group of natural persons, the Award shall be handed to the oldest member of the group or the representative designated by the group.
§7. Voyage of the Year – Wyszak Award is granted to the captain (helmsman) of an outstanding voyage that ended in the year preceding the Award Ceremony and was associated with West Pomerania or Hither Pomerania (the captain or a yacht with the crew composed mostly of sailors living in West Pomerania)
§8. Sailor of the Year – the Award is granted to a sailor from West Pomerania or Hither Pomerania for special achievements relating to sailing.
§9. Regatta Racer of the Year – Captain Kazimierz Kuba Jaworski Award is granted a regatta sailor or instructor who has achieved remarkable success in competitive sailing from West or Hither Pomerania.
§10. Sailing Promoter – Captain Kazimierz Haska Award is granted to a person who has been promoting sailing in Szczecin, West Pomerania or Hither Pomerania for at least 10 years.
§11. Umbriaga Cat Award. This Award is a distinction given for significant achievements in the field of sailing or its promotion. It is granted to children from 6 to 13 years of age, educational institutions of West Pomerania, Hither Pomerania and other legal entities that propagate sailing among children.
§12. The Szczecin Sailing Cultural Award is granted to natural and legal persons, organisations, associations, foundations, institutions and other entities for artistic or cultural activities related to maritime issues (water, sailing) of particular importance to Szczecin, West Pomerania or Hither Pomerania.
§13. The Sailing Event is an award granted for a sailing event or other extraordinary event associated with sailing, which was organized in Szczecin, Western Pomerania or Hither Pomerania. The event can be: regattas, sailing ceremonies, concerts, festivals, exhibitions and more.
§14. The Young Sailor of the Year Award is granted occasionally to a sailor from 14 to 23 years of age – a resident of West Pomerania or Hither Pomerania who distinguished himself during regatta or voyage with an exemplary attitude or an extraordinary act that is worthy of being honoured. The prize is awarded to a specific person.
§15. The Special Sailing Award is granted to a person, organisation or institution for activity related to sailing, water or maritime works, which is not eligible for the above-described awards.
§16. The Awards referred to in § 7-15 may also be granted to members and alumnus of the Stettiner Yacht Club in Lübeck.
- Winners of the Awards listed in § 1(2) – (10) receive statuettes and diplomas.
- The founder of the Awards listed in § 1(1), (4)-(10) is the City of Szczecin Municipality.
- The founder of the Awards listed in § 1(2) and (3) is the West Pomerania District Sailing Association.
Procedure for submitting candidates for the Awards and announcement of the list of nominees
§18. The following are allowed to submit candidates:
- Members of the Award Committee;
- public institutions, unions, associations, foundations, organisations and sailing clubs;
- residents of Szczecin, West Pomerania Province and Hither Pomerania; in the case of the Captain Ludomir Mączka Award, also residents of any part of Poland.
- The application form for the Captain Ludomir Mączka Award can be found attached as Appendix 1 to these Terms.
- The applications form for the Awards listed in § 1(2)-(10) can be found attached as Appendix 2 to these Terms.
- Applications for candidate nominations to the Awards are accepted from 10 January to 15 February every year. The application form can be found on the nagrodyzeglarskie.szczecin.pl website.
- Applications must be submitted electronically to the following address: email@example.com.
- Applications are not examined if they are submitted in a form other than the application form referred to in para. 1 and 2.
- From the submitted candidates for the Awards, the Committee indicates 3 nominees in each category, one of which will be a laureate of a specific category.
- The list of nominees to the Awards shall be announced to the public by 10 March every year and published on the Szczecin Sailing Awards website.
- Nominees shall be notified at least 14 days in advance of the date, time, and venue of the Sailing Gala where the Awards will be presented.
- The Award Committee consists of persons who are authorities in the field of sailing, maritime culture or maritime economy, as well as representatives of the City of Szczecin Municipality. The composition of the Award Committee is recommended by the Mayor’s Office in consultation with representatives of societies and associations that promote sailing.
- The members of the Award Committee are appointed for their term and dismissed by the Mayor of the City of Szczecin by a separate Order.
- The Award Committee consists of at least 7 and no more than 13 persons.
- The Award Committee selects the Chairperson from among themselves by a simple majority of votes, in the presence of at least half of the Members of the Award Committee.
- The chairperson directs the work of the Award Committee and presides over its sessions.
- Organisational and office services for the Award Committee shall be provided by the Secretary of Awards, acting as a minutes secretary, without the right to participate in voting, who is not a member of the Award Committee and is designated by the Mayor’s Office of the City Hall in Szczecin.
- The Award Committee takes decisions by way of resolution under the “Terms of granting the International Szczecin Sailing Awards”.
- The Award Committee presents to the Mayor of Szczecin the candidates for the Awards from among the candidates submitted. The Award Committee selects the candidates for Awards in an open vote, with a simple majority of votes, in the presence of more than half of the Members of the Award Committee. In case of an equal number of votes, the Chairperson of the Award Committee makes the final decision.
- If a Member of the Award Committee is submitted as a candidate for one of the Awards, he or she shall be excluded from the work of the Award Committee in respect of the particular Award.
- Until the announcement of the Awards at the Sailing Gala, the Members of the Award Committee are obliged to keep the voting process and candidates selected as winners secret.
- The Members of the Award Committee do not receive any remuneration for participation in the works of the Award Committee.